Safety at Sea




Harry S Truman (CVN-75) Buck Stop Daily Paper 

Truly a city at sea!

Here are news paper clippings from my time at sea with the Buck Stopper crew.  Before ever making my way onboard as a crew member I heard that the vessels of such size are much like a small city at sea.  For me this proved to be true and I'm grateful to those who mentioned this.  It prepared me to operate & insert into the community living, learning, loving, leading & leaving as member of the Truman Tribe.

I appreciate every person appointed as leadership leading me who encouraged stepping out of my traditional trade and up into the public realm of safety influence.  The production of such stories as you'll read below.  I'm especially thankful to the superb journalism from our expert media department.  Special shot out to the Navy MC's and all the hard work YOU do!  To my shipmates, you know who you are, SEMPER FORTIS!

For the a view of the fruit in these news paper clippings without my commentary click the link below:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EYShKrRDVY6CDedo9

Otherwise continue to read along as I point out the clippings & details that I managed to hang on to.  Of the many great stories making the news far and wide, below are just a few that caught my eye related to my direct &/or indirect involvement.  There may be a few I missed but the few here are highlights of some of the fruit developed by the entire team of Buck Stoppers at sea.  To God be the glory!  Soli Deo gloria!

    


Look Out!  Motorcycle Awareness



 Motorcycle Safety Program Management.  As a motorcycle operator myself with 14 years street riding experience I had the privilege of leading others in this space & managing their record of training.  Sailors & Marines as operators are required to attend training periodically to ensure safe start and practice of this inherently risky activity.  As a member of HonorBound Motorcycle Ministry I didn't get to do all that I aspired to do within the ministry, but this highlights how that interest area of ministry practice set me up to be a leader in the practice of riding to live and living to ride.  Ride to arrive alive is a slogan of most ships and together we police one another to lawfully keep the rubber side down.  Despite the limited time ashore I had the honor of making a few friends with this common interest along the way.  Hoping to see you on the street, rubber side down shipmate!


Daily Inspection, Maintenance & Repair of Common and Divisional Spaces

Each member of the crew participates in the inspection, maintenance & repair of our vessel.  Meticulous care of our ladders is one of many vital points in this objective.  


Synergistic Teamwork!  Instruction that Facilitates, Elevates, Inspires & Equips Laborers to Produce Good Fruit

 

As a team of professional Sailors we frequently rally together to do work in precisely aligned with plans and policies.  Each department has representatives that lead their respective peers, leaders & Jr. colleagues.  These representatives assist program mangers with the required safety limits and mitigation measures by engaging and facilitating important feedback, trends & lessons learned.  Setting the example and pace necessary for everyone's safe return to the home front. 


Instructing Crewmembers in Proper Wear & Care of Respirators


"Impactful Trainer & Admirable Leadership"-Safety CEO


 As a First-Line Supervisor I had the privilege to lead five Command Safety Program Managers & 125 Safety Technicians in the execution of 15 Navy Occupational Safety & Health Audits, ensuring all programs were in compliance with occupational safety standards.  Additionally, directly certified over 1,332 respirator users, issued more than 6,000 respirators, and enabled the accomplishment of more than 3,000 material condition maintenance tasks.  Instructed 10 hours of safety training for 113 newly arrived personnel.  

 

Here are a variety of small publishing requests that made the final Buck print:
Basic Reminders & Beacons to Socially Navigate on the Deck Plates










Replenishments at Sea!



This dynamic task takes a large volume of highly professional people marching to the same beat & tempo.  Never imagined myself standing watch as a safety observer but here I am send me!  


Command Religious Ministries Department Partnership

Obedience & Outward Expressions of Inner Change and Commitment to follow Jesus Christ


As a lay-leader on board I was part of the Qualified Lay-Leader team under Chaplain Supervisors.   Commitments as an Altar worker, Gospel Choir member, Bible Teacher, Event Coordinator; water baptism planned for 12 new believers & led baptism classes, Marriage class & discipleship events comprising of spiritual mentorship to >8 Shipmates, deck plate recognized Biblical Subject Matter Expert, graciously awarded Letter of Appreciation from Pentecostal-Gospel Service Lead Lay-Pastor.


Personally Hosted Only Bible Based Recovery Program at Sea!


Servant & Peer Led Support Groups.


Find the Mentors You Need!  Mentor's Promote Greatness in Others!


Keep the mentors you gain!  Still an honor to call him my mentor today, excellent man of God!

"Let's Go!"-Master Chief Petty Officer Jonathan Rivera


Servant Leaders Lead

Among other leading examples preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ, this Top Snipe inspired me to continue my commitment in co-vocational labor.  A true leader, setting the pace and leading with an example above reproach.  Hooyah Holy Top Snipe!


The Truman Tribe! 



While we stand watch at sea the home front sends support and renders care to one another in the Family Readiness Group.  Kelli had the honor of leading >5,000 personnel family & friends.  Making me a 1st Gentleman coordinating careful alignment of program with the Command Religious Ministry Department Chaplain Advisor to serve >3,500 member crew.


Truman Tribe Messages from Home

https://vimeo.com/408425658?fbclid=IwAR2zwgM9PpCo5S4YdsmXOUPLyrq11D95QhLzuXU3DWJdOhmVWpXoTN_f3R0


Facilitating Sacred Marriage Ceremony



Not a Daily Buck news paper clipping but part of the Family Readiness Support news.  Shortly after deployment back with the home front these two love birds decided to make more of a public commitment for all to witness.  Grateful to celebrate Dustin & Shellie's sacred commitment together with the Lord's blessing!  We put the "B" from the Buck in at the "B" in the Biscuit!




Basically this collage of story brought to you courtesy of my shipmates and crew, helps to describe some of the endless fruit that the Lord Jesus continues to produce in me, through me and around me.  Now I recognize there are a whole lot of  "me" in that idea, but to be frank I couldn't have made it to where I am today without the crew, the mentors, the leaders, my friends, our families and the blessed Holy Spirit.  Each day is a day of grace and mercy abundant.  Had I truly been dependent upon my own will none of this would have been produced.

Truly a city on the sea!  Yet not like the city on the shore.  We all meet and part ways in a very short amount of time.  And despite the experiences together seeming like that of vapor mist dried up and now vanished, I know deep down that some of these bonds will never be erased.  Many of the shipmates will cross paths again.  Many I know with confidence will with me hear that which we all desire to hear: 
"Well done my good and faithful servant."

Let us rest NOT in our laurels but rest in the faithfulness of the Lord our God!

Buck Stopper for Life!

Your Shipmate.

Sincerely,

Nicholas


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrying the Message

New Beginnings: Born Someplace Between His-story & Hope

Run Deep Roots